Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Airfield, 4/22/19

Debbie and I headed out to the Airfield just before dark, for a little fishing. Debbie started out using a Zoom Craw Jr in watermelon, and I was throwing a Ribbit frog and working it top water. Debbie immediately started picking up bass, and I was only getting a slap every now and then..no takers.  I noticed a lot of subtle top water activity, so I pulled out the fly rod, and picked up a couple of nice bluegill and some small bull bass. 

As dark set in, I could no longer see my fly, and changed to a 5" Yum Dinger in watermelon, rigged weedless and weightless. That worked well, and I started catching bass while working the bottom slowly. Around nightfall, Debbie said the craw was no longer working, and she switched to a 5" Yum Dinger, rigged weedless and weightless, and started catching bass. 












After dark, the action really picked up. My phone was having a hard time taking pics with the flash, but it sorta worked. After a bit, the biggest surprise of all happened...






So, my phone was almost dead, and I had put it on the charger in the truck, and would only take it out to take a pic. The voltage got so low at one point, the flash wouldn't work. Debbie yelled out that she had something big, and then I heard the SMASH that sounded like someone dropped a bathtub in the pond :-) . I grabbed the net and and ran to where she was. We're working in the dark, with only those little headlights strapped on and turned to "green light" mode, and when I got there she was fighting this thing like it was gonna pull her in the pond. It was a big bass and it was pissed! I got the net under her, grabbed the line to steer her in, and the line broke just as I scooped her up. WOW, this girl had probably come off the bed a couple of weeks back, and she still weighted 4lbs 10 oz, Debbie's personal best and the 2nd largest LMB we've ever landed. What a thrill!! 

 

A look down the mouth of that big girl...


After we came down from that exciting time, we continued to fish. The phone was in bad shape, so a couple we caught didn't get photographed. All in all, we caught 20 fish and had a blast!! Here's a few more...