Friday, April 10, 2020

Replacing Zebco Bullet Handle

We have several of the Zebco Bullit reels. Debbie and I use them a lot, and really love the cast distance, retrieve rate, and overall handling. Recently, I was about to swap one of the quick change spools in one, and broke the handle in the process... it would just spin freely afterwards. 

When I got back home I realized there was lots of free play in the handle. I contacted Zebco, and the sent out a replacement (once again, they have awesome customer service!!). I think I had not paid close attention that the handle was getting lose, and when I applied force on the spinner head to unscrew it, the handle had slipped slightly outwards and broke the little drive splines. I've checked our other Bullets and tightened the handles to hopefully not have that issue again. Here are a few pics. 

Remove the silver cap, and then loosen the brass cap, just as when swapping sides with the handle. This was already loose inside, likely why I broke the drive splines.

Remove the brass cap that secures the handle...

This is the handle with the broken drive spline...

Bad handle on top, new handle on the bottom. You can see the part that is broken off...

 I replace the old handle, and all is well. Thanks again to Zebco for the parts and support needed to keep my gear running great!