Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Houseboat build, pg10...

 Roofing.... boy, this has been a tediously slow part of the project. The structure was originally designed to be 10' x 14, but I needed 8' x 16'. So, we bought 2 buildings to have enough material, and redesigned everything. Nothing worked according to the instructions, so I just used the manual to get an idea of what they planned to do, and added the entire roof re-enforcement system (rafters, etc), doubled the center beam, and designed the entire internal 2x4 stud wall system. It's still very light weight, the entire project is just over 1400 lbs at this time. Anyway, on to the pics and descriptions...

Here's a few of the vertical roof braces I'm cutting. I still have 10 more to cut and install, then the roof covering goes on!


Working in the yard is always interesting. Chickens, dogs, weather issues, etc....gotta work around it all to make it happen :-)

 



2 x 4 metal rafters all cut, hand fitted, and installed. This was slow, but I wanted the extra strength. The original design had NONE, it used the attachment of the sheet metal roofing for the strength of the structure. 



The chickens seem to like it. They'll come up in the house while I'm working on it, and they try and use the trailer frame and axles as roost poles. They don't seem to mine all the beating and banging noises I make...





The pics above show the roof structure and the side bracing. I still have 10 more side braces to install, but I'm getting close to finished with it. The entire ceiling structure only added about 120 lbs to the total weight of the house boat!


http://www.NCFishy.net