Tuesday, June 18, 2019

A Little Polishing...

I had noticed some of the boat had what felt like "dry spots" in the gelcoat, but they would scrub off with my fingernail. I surmised it to be fish spunk, soft drink, muddy feet, etc that had accumulated over time. I washed the boat, and started applying Meguiars Gold paste wax. Despite the boat being shiney, I could still find the rough and dull spots all around it...especially along the top of the hull and on the areas inside. I also noticed what looked like hard water spotting. 

Years ago, I had a similar problem on Debbie's car. he car was parked near a train track, and I had read about "rail dust" (a fine metal particulate that will contaminate some types of paint), and how to use a clay bar from Meguiars to remove and clean it. I put her car in the garage after a wash job, and after about 2 nights of working over the entire car with the clay bar, the car was as good as new. 

By mid-day, the heat had come way up and the sun was tough. I pulled it in the garage, closed the door, and cranked up the AC. I decided to give the claybar a try, and it worked!! All of the spots came off, and the fiberglass felt as slick as if it were new. That's saying a lot, considering this is a 1996 Stratos! I came behind that with a coat of Meguiars Gold paste wax, and this thing sparkles like a new boat. This should help protect it through the rigors of the summer heat, sun, and UV. Here's a few pics...