Thursday, September 19, 2019

Old Minn Kota 28 repairs

Once again, I'm patching up my old Minn Kota 65, 28 lbs of thrust. This was made back around 1985, so it has a lot of miles on it. When I got it with our old Jon boat, it looked like it had been dropped on it's top, and a bunch of glue was poured into cracks. The two front screws had nothing to screw into, chunks were missing out of the cover around the edge, and the FWD-REV switch was bad. 

I found an exact replacement for the switch at Walmart, popped it in, and used it like it was. I really didn't expect it to last for the better part of 2 years, as hard as we run it. But it did :-) . The aluminum mount was broken, so I welded it and built it up in the corners a bit, and mounted it to the boat. I modified the mount so I could pull a single pin, and lift the motor off the boat without having to bother with the clamp bolts on the transom. I also installed a quick connect to the power leads, and fabricated a weed guard to help keep stuff from getting wrapped around the prop shaft. Despite how it looked, it held up pretty good. 

Recently, I decided to take the cover off and try to repair / clean it up a bit. I sanded the old glue down, filled a bunch of holes and places where chunks were broken out, and installed a bit of wood to allow the front screws somewhere to attach. I also beefed up a few of the smaller wires that were overheating when I'd make a 2+ mile run at full throttle to get back to the landings. Here's a few pics of my now Black Special Edition Minn Kota 65 :-)


The above 2 pics were after the work...



Filling and sanding the cover a bit...



Lots of cracks to repair...



The cover looked pretty bad from the outside...


Forming up around the edges before filling and shaping. Also, I added a hardwood  block, then drilled it fro the screws to attach to from below.